I have been having a problem with my Viajante. It is rather long and I tend to sit on it. As a result, when I move my arm, the bind off sts pop. I had already darned it once, when I thought the edge had caught in a zipper and ripped. That was discovered quite a ways after it happened so there was a lot of fixing that needed to be done. Sts picked up, worked up and then a new bind off joined to the old one. Then it happened when i was wearing it. I heard the pop when the bind-off edge ripped. I promptly grabbed the sts and put them on a pin and put the shawl away.
I took it out today to repair the edge and also to do something to reinforce it. I didn't have enough yarn to do a crochet edging. If I had had that, I think a simple slip st would have worked. But since I didn't, I went through my leftover yarn and found some lovely soft superfine alpaca that I had used for a Stripe Study. A simple slip st edging just looked too wimpy in the contrast yarn so I did a scallop edging and I am very happy with the result.
It has been a long time since I did anything like this in crochet and there was a lot of edging to be done. I did a row of single crochet and then the scallops. The edge now is secured by the thicker yarn. As I was crocheting, another BO st broke so I just picked up the open sts in the single crochet border.
A close-up of the scallop edging