Monday, November 24, 2008

Overachieving and buttons

I set out to use all 6 skeins of the Lorna's Laces yarn I won and no more. Well, I think I overachieved. I may finish the sweater with most of 1 skein left over. Darn! I have made excellent progress on the body as it is an easily memorized pattern and I'm using larger needles. Of course, blocking will make the body wider and shorter so I need a lot more length but I'm still on the 5th skein. I will do an interim block when I'm done with this skein and see how much more I need to knit. It is very difficult to gauge that with the bottom bunched up on the needle. It is looking good though. The pooling is cool, the top looks woven and the lace body will be very fluid and have lots of drape. I received the buttons from Sheila Ernst last week. Oh my! They look fabulous on the sweater.
From a distance, they don't stand out quite that much but...I am going to make a twisted cord with tassels from the body yarn and loop it around the buttons to hold the fronts together. I did a mock-up here but the single strand of yarn doesn't provide the contrast that 4 strands twisted together will. That will make the buttons stand out.
Updated to add:
I couldn't wait! I made the cord and sewed on the buttons and voila!I am excited as I haven't worn this sweater in about 6-7 years due to this problem. Finally!


Dr. Steph said...

Hooray! It looks great.

Diane in Oregon said...

Congratulations on the FO - it looks great, and very wearable. Love those buttons!