Monday, March 10, 2008

No calorie comfort

Not much knitting last week. I've been feeling very tired. So I have taken to going to bed early with a book.

When I'm in need of comfort, I like to read familiar and favorite books. Dorothy Sayers is at the top of the list. Last week I read Busman's Honeymoon and Murder Must Advertise. Then I read Monique and the Mango Rains. We have an event to celebrate Women's History Month each year. Kris Holloway, author of Monique and the Mango Rains, was our speaker this year. She is a very impressive speaker, and I got a copy of the book and read it.

I also love the Brother Cadfael books, which are another source of comfort. I am currently reading Monk's Hood.

I did knit a little while riding to the airport on Saturday. I turned the heel of my purple Shibui sock and started on the leg.

Today I wore my red double knit headband while going for my lunch-time walk. It feels really nice, and is warm but not too warm. I am very motivated to knit a pair of fingerless mittens to match. I think I have enough yarn. I won't double knit them but put the same snowflake in black on a red background. This will be a good travel project over the summer.

I am going to knit along with Debbie New as she makes a Klein bottle hat. I've always wanted to make one and I have a bunch of worsted weight yarn that will make a lovely hat. But for now, I'm going to curl up with Brother Cadfael and try and get some rest.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Great comfort reads. It may be time for me to revisit those as well. Klein Bottle hat? I attempted it once but had to rip it because the yarn I chose just didn't have the body to stand up to the shape. I like Debbie's ribbed version well enough to think about another attempt.

Hope you feel better soon.

mehitabel said...

My current comfort read is Sweet Danger (Margery Allingham) which turned up when the moving crew stripped my room. Not much to do on cool nights when the house is bare and full of holes, and old favorite books are very soothing!