Sunday, November 8, 2015

What to do with hole-y socks Part 2

Since I will be out on Tuesday and Wednesday is Diwali, I decided to post today and I hope eventually to be able to actually post on Tuesdays. :-)

Today we will make a headband from a pair of well-worn socks. In this case, the holds have to be in the toe or the heel. They can't be in the ball of the foot because every part of the sock except for the cuffs, heels and toes are used.

First I separated the two feet - removed the toes and the heels and put them on needles. Now, note that there is no end on yellow edges. These were the parts where the sts started so you can't unravel the rows to get yarn to knit with. This is important in this particular rescue project.


I forgot to take a picture before I started deconstructing the socks. You can see the toes and the leg portions with the heels attached below.


I grafted the two foot sections together. The yarn coming off the black/white part of the sock was grafted to the yellow section of the other foot.

When I examined the legs, I noticed a gusset as I had worked these toe-up and done a reverse regular heel-flap/gusset heel on them. The gusset would be a problem for the headband so I took the heel off and unraveled the gusset and re-knit that section without the decreasing. This was a pain. The yarn had semi-felted and took forever to unravel. The re-knitting went fast.


Then that was grafted to the two leg sections. Again, matching an end with yarn with an end that didn't have any.


This photo shows the cuff being removed.  I was a little nervous that I wouldn't have enough length. That is why I took the trouble of unraveling the gusset and re-knitting. I figured that if I had enough length, I wouldn't have to do that on the second leg. 


And I didn't have to. The length of the second leg without the gusset was perfect. I measured around my head as I went. I picked this pair of socks for the headband because it was colorful and the double layer will be nice in the winter when I walk/run outside.

The final step is to graft the beginning to the end. If you've done the matching of the ends correctly, you will have one end with yarn and one without. Yes, it is great practice for grafting. I put the two sections on 2 needles each and grafted the two front needles together and then the two back ones. But you can also do it without needles. I was afraid I'd pull the sts too much when I pulled the yarn through.

I also didn't bother steaming or washing the bits of yarns that were used in the grafting. I will wash the whole thing and block it when I'm done with all my re-purposing. That will even out the grafting. Right now you can see where it is grafted because it feels different there. A bit crinkly.


It is a tight fitting headband but it stays put, which is important.

Next up is a water bottle cozy.


No comments: