Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Waves

Life sometimes gets in the way of knitting. I haven't knit much at all this week and I have to knit a small sample for a class. It is a modular knitted piece and I need to make two mitered squares that I can use to demonstrate joining. Somehow I am not in the mood for modular knitting.

I go in waves as far as my knitting is concerned. Back around 2000, I was into modular knitting in a big way. I designed everything as modules and multi-directional, knitting every which way I could. I saw everything around me in terms of modular knitting. Then I got into shadow or illusion knitting and did a number of pieces using that technique.

Now I am really into traditional knitting. I want to knit texture and use traditional shaping and construction. I want to combine lace and cables and experiment with stitch patterns. I find myself drawn to simple lines with interest created by texture and classic styling.

In a few years, I don't know where I'll be. Some day maybe I'll go back to stranded color-
work, or beaded knitting or something I haven't done in a while.

This is why working on multiple projects is not for me. I pulled out a modular shawl I started years ago because it was one of the few examples of beaded knitting I still possess. Most of my beaded work has gone to other places and people. I thought that pulling it out would re-kindle my interest in it. I remember when I conceived the design for it. I bought the yarns and worked it all out in my head. Now I look at it and it doesn't hold my interest at all. I was thinking seriously about frogging it and doing something else with the lovely yarn. Of course, being a modular project, if I frog it I will have lots of bits of yarn. Maybe I could make random stripes of different lengths in a sweater or sock? Could I take what I've knitted and make something else out of it? It is Koigu so I don't want to lose it. I've used bits of leftover Koigu to add interest to socks so I could do that.

I may let it marinate for a while and see if my interest returns. It is one of my few UFOs. Mostly I work on one project at a time and finish it and move on to the next one. I plan and design and see other projects in my head but I don't start knitting them till the one I'm working on is done. If I didn't do that, my house would be littered with projects like the shawl because my interest in techniques and ideas changes all the time. Sometimes I'm riding the wave and sometimes I'm paddling.

No comments: