Friday, August 18, 2017

Glass sculptures!

I am afraid that I don't have too many fiber topics to discuss today. I have finished one sleeve on my Grapevine sweater but I need to start the other one. I am hoping to have it done this weekend but there are so many things going on that I don't know if I will be able to or not.

Being away at the workshop and then having the first full week in August fly by meant that I had to spend a good bit of time in the garden this week. There were weeds everywhere. I have managed to weed everything but the flower bed by the mailbox. I hope to get to that tomorrow. I thought I could do it today but it rained last night and I don't want to compress the wet soil by walking on it.

A couple of things arrived by mail that are interesting. I bought a sifting litter box from Petco to wash fleece. I haven't used it yet but it fits nicely in the laundry tub and I think I will end up saving water by using it.

It stacks nicely together for storage. My idea is that I'll fill one of the pans with hot water for washing/rinsing, put the fleece in the sifter in lingerie bags so it is easy to move around, and then soak it by putting the sifter in the pan of water. When it is time to remove the fleece from that water, I can press out the water using the other pan and then put the sifter in it to drain while I change the water. It is about 4-5" deep.

Next up, I bought an almost new Züca bag on Craigslist. I haven't put the minispinner in it yet as I have been too busy. We had guests all last weekend and they only left on Monday.
It is really pink! but the black and white bag sets off the pink rather nicely. The price was good so I am embracing the pink.

The last item is an amazing prize I won in the Tour de Fleece. It is exactly something I was thinking of buying so getting it as a prize is really awesome.
It is a purpleheart 2-bobbin kate from Hansencrafts! My lazy kates are all 3-bobbin so I was thinking of getting this one for workshops as it is lighter and smaller. The bobbins can be held vertical or at a 45 degree angle.

Now on to the eye-candy. Yesterday, we went to see the Chihuly exhibit at the New York Botanical Garden. They have a Chihuly Nights event every so often as part of the exhibit and that is what we did. No commentary here, just photos.















It was really beautiful at night because there was very little ambient light except for the gorgeously lit glass sculptures. The NYBG had an interactive map that showed where I was and where the sculptures were, along with the walkways. So I could navigate using my phone. When I got near a sculpture, it popped up a description of the sculpture and the name and a photo of it in daylight.

I was able to lay out the collapse weave project based on warp and weft calculations and my yardage. It will be a scarf as I don't have enough weft for a shawl. I hope to warp it next week and also finish the Grapevine sweater. 

No comments: