Friday, January 11, 2013

Spindling a gradient part 5

I have been slowly but surely making progress on the second single in the gradient. I don't have any weaving bobbins to wind off the cop so I decided just to keep spinning on different spindles of roughly the same weight. I've been focusing on keeping the grist of the single consistent and I think I've succeeded. I will know when I go to ply it.
The first single was all spun on my regular Trindle (the top one in the phot above). I started the second single on the same Trindle. The arms are the golden dragon arms on the bottom. Once that filled up to a point where I wasn't comfortable continuing, I put the same arms on my microXL and continued spinning. You can see that in the middle of the picture. Now that one is full to the point of discomfort. I find that the bottom and top of the cop gets messy and then it becomes difficult to wind off. So I prefer to stop at that point.
Last night I started on the Jenkins Delight. You can see how much of the fiber remains on the right of the photo. I don't know if I will get all of it onto the Delight but I have a lightweight Golding left that can become spindle number 4, if I need it.
To slow myself down, I am focusing on a neat and pretty wind-on. Usually I start like this and then get bored and go back to the messy one. But so far, this is working out.

Maybe this way I will have all this done by the time the luggage arrives and I will be able to ply this immediately. I am hoping that it doesn't come to that. I would rather have the luggage here.

No comments: