Thursday, December 20, 2012

A tangential rant

This has nothing to do with spinning or knitting or fiber. In fact, it has very little to do with my usual pursuits or content.

It started with this gift guide for Mom that I saw in the Huffington Post. It caught my eye because of the pink tool set. I posted it to Facebook and forgot about it. Today, I went looking for the value of a tool set that I added to our shipping items. I have to put a value on each item in case it gets damaged. Since I have a lot of expensive items in the shipping - like my Hansen mini-spinner bobbins and my lazy kate - I have been very diligent about this.

My modus operandi is to look for similar things on Amazon and use that to determine the value when I don't have a clue about the value. After all, I need to replace the item and this seems reasonable to me. Guess what my search for tool kits found?
This set for $19.99 and this identical set in pink for $24.99. This incensed me for some reason.

Why should women be ripped off because of the color of the tools? I know it isn't a big deal - it is only $5.00 but it still is a rip-off.

It is an extension of the idea that women and girls need special things like the BIC pens for her.

End of tangential rant

No comments: