Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Amazing spindling progress

A very Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!


I really saw the advantage that spindles have over wheels this weekend. I was spending time with family and took my spindle along. Wow! I made quite a bit of progress, even though I stopped to manually wind off the cop in the middle. Without anything to support the spindle, I was basically winding off by holding the spindle in one hand, the ball of wound singles in the other and rotating one over the other. Not at all fast!
This is the last bit of roving left to complete this project which has all been spun on the microXL trindle. I will probably complete it today. The two balls are the two plies of the single. I didn't divide this fiber up in the beginning. I just started spinning and just alternated winding each cop onto one or the other ball. The rubber band marks the ball that was last used. So this cop will go onto the other ball. This cop was almost completely spun between just before dinner on Sunday and after dinner yesterday.

I will ply this on the Hansen from the two plying balls. I have been spinning this for so long that I have no idea what I used as cores for the plying balls. Also, the fiber is a mystery fiber. I got it with my Respect the Spindle book from Abby Franquemont. I had ordered an autographed book and she included this fiber along with the book. It is definitely a silk or tencel blend but not sure of what else is in it. It has a lovely sheen and I think it will make a gorgeous shawl.

What this means is that I can start 2013 off with a bunch of new spinning projects as I have only one in progress right now.

No comments: